Sunday 14 November 2010

Wimborne Market

Last Sunday I attempted to sell my candles and gift baskets for the first time, at Wimborne Market.

I was massively excited to do this, as I had never attempted to sell any of my stock before and a great deal of planning and effort went into it all. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the customers at Wimborne Market.

Having got up at 6am to set off to the market, set up my stall at 8am and stand in the freezing cold all day, it turns out that no one was there to buy candles.

Paying £14 for the pitch, and taking only £3.75 in candle sales means I was £10.25 down on the day, which also happened to be my mums birthday. She had very kindly given up her day to help me on the stall. Bless her, my mum is so very supportive of my candle venture.

So my first sales opportunity turned out very unsuccessful. Which leaves me with a dilema - should I give up? Does no one want to buy candles? Am I pursuing the wrong thing?

On the other hand, should I just see it as a bad day and try again? Perhaps Wimborne Market isnt the right venue for me, but somewhere else might be?

I have two christmas fairs booked to attend, so I will pursue those next. Portland School Christmas Bazaar on 26th November, and Chickerell Christmas Fair on 28th November. Hopefully, fingers crossed, these will be better. Until then, all I can do is keep praying.

As for the great name debate, I'm still confused. The name I used for Wimborne Market was 'Candles by Tanya' although I am not entirely convinced. My Fourteen Candles website expires in January and I am unsure as to whether I want to continue with it....

3 comments:

  1. Don't give up on it because of one bad day. You have to start somewhere and work your way up. I wouldn't give up something you dreamed about and have worked hard at just because of one tough day. Keep trying and I believe you will definitely succeed~! I know where I live candles are a big thing and I love them too! There is definitely a market out there; maybe just try some research. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be sad, this happens to everybody who starts something new. It just needs good confidence and be stubben, keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Bridport is a small community, I like to follow what you do here with your business. If you need a kick (.) sometimes, ask me , I own a lot of boots. Love the candles.

    ReplyDelete